Human Wearing Fur
.(Ben Heine © Cartoons)
.
HUMAN

By "Starlight"

I feel so sick and hungry and cold
And my pain is increasing as I grow old
Why does my plea for help fall on deaf ears
Why doesn't anyone wash away my fears

I limp because of a broken leg and hip
Imagined if that happened to you
Then it would matter, wouldn't it
Then, Human, what would you do

I cry because my family
Was slaughtered right in front of me
Cries for help and then lifeless eyes
That's what happened when my beloved mother died

And my sister the last thing she did
Was turn to me with blood tears on her eyes
Why do you do this to us
Why do you ignore our cries

Before I escaped I lived in a cage
So small that I could smell my neighbor's breath
I could feel him trembling with fear
And this only made me more upset

I still remember my family screaming with pain
This is something you can never forget again
But there you are, Human, wearing fur because it's in fashion
Oh Human, how can you show such little compassion

-------------------

THIS MASK

By: Ronald Caldwell

I wear this Mask I call my face,
To hide the sorrow this world has placed.

Many times I’ve wondered why,
Man is so cruel in all creatures’ eyes.

Taking their lives without despair,
For the feelings they have and the love they share.

I hide behind this Mask you see,
For the pain and sorrow that continues to be.

-------------------

OURSELVES

By M. Linda Steffey

We slaughter the Whale, the Deer
And Creatures we hate or fear
But to me it is perfectly clear...
We do the same to ourselves!

We make them slaves in our zoo
For science we torture them, too
Love, Kindness we have for so few
And we do the same to ourselves!

Our Mother is Earth it is said
Yet we treat Her like She is dead
A pesticide diet She's fed
And we feed the same to ourselves!

Our Brother's heads hang on our wall
For money we hunt toenails and gall
And for Ivory the Elephants fall...
And this we do to ourselves!

All living Creatures connected
How we treat them, ourselves is reflected
Crucified on a Cross, rejected!
Yes, we do such things to ourselves!

God in Heaven... please hear my Prayer
For these sins Mankind will bear
The Earth all living things share
And Love all as we Love ourselves...

-------------------

ALL CREATURES

By M. Linda Steffey

I love all Creatures living, Lord...
The smallest of Thy beast
The great Animals...the powerful
And those called "Thy least"...

They are of Thy Divinity
Pure Energy and Love,
They are Thy gift to all of Earth
Sent down from high above..

The great Birds who soar the Skies
The Fish that swim the Seas
The Animals that walk the Earth
The Butterflies and Bees...

All Life is connected and related
To another..
To each we are a precious gift
A Sister or a Brother...

Whether furred or feathered
Or of Mankind's family
All is connected, precious
In Life's great, family Tree...

-------------------

THE PANTHER

By Rainer Maria Rilke

His vision, from the constantly passing bars,
has grown so weary that it cannot hold
anything else. It seems to him there are
a thousand bars; and behind the bars, no world.

As he paces in cramped circles, over and over,
the movement of his powerful soft strides
is like a ritual dance around a center
in which a mighty will stands paralyzed.

Only at times, the curtain of the pupils
lifts, quietly --. An image enters in,
rushes down through the tensed, arrested muscles,
plunges into the heart and is gone.

-------------------

THE HUNTED

By Lavanya Ramanujam

I am so tired
If only I could stay here for a while
but I have to go on
run for my life
If I want to live another day
and watch another sunrise

I am so tired
If only I could lie down for a while
but my breath comes faster
my world has become a little dimmer
If only they would give up
I could be free again

I am so tired
If only I could rest for a while
but they will not leave me be
and I cannot run anymore
If only I could see my family again
if only...

-------------------

HUMANE SOCIETY


By Judith Cronin

If we are human
and don't see

If we are human
and don't care

If we are human
and don't act

We are human
no more

-------------------

--> All the poems appeared on all-creatures.org
--> Contact All-creatures.org at flh@all-creatures.org
.